[Excerpted and reformatted five paragraphs of a guest essay; cut words to meet this site’s 300 word limit]
Hello fellow humans! Do you know why writing is so important in our everyday lives?
(1) Writing can save lives….you can spell out “help” if needed. People will see this message and rush to help you.
(2) You can get clues on a criminal. Someone [can write] down what the criminal looked like or did. This can help people track them down.
(3) You can write down….your address, where you put your keys, etc….If you write down your location….you will be safer because if you get lost, people will know where you went and come and get you.
(4) Expressing yourself [lets] out your feelings on paper.
(5) Write letters to other people about serious stuff instead of telling them because it’s easier and much less awkward….If you have a crush on someone, you could hand them a note saying that you like them….It is much less awkward if you get rejected.
(6) You can write a family recipe….expressing your family history.
(7) Many people can’t talk….so they have to write things down.
(8) Sometimes [written] words are simply easier to understand. Some people would rather read instructions than have someone explain it to them. That is totally [okay]. You can read [words] repeatedly….If you don’t understand [them] the first time, you can just re-read.
That’s all for now but I will see you in the next 5 paragraph essay. But tell me….what do YOU think about writing?
Zofia (Grade 4 Essay)
[I wish I had learned all of these tips in elementary school. Maybe it would have helped me get notes from fourth grade girls telling me they liked me.]